Saturday, November 8, 2014

Amazing Quinoa Enchilada Casserole

Stop what you're doing and try this absolutely amazing recipe!
 
First let's discuss quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) and its benefits. Quinoa is an ancient grain like crop with edible seeds. Think of it as a rice substitute that is gluten free and has fiber, protein, iron and potassium. Once cooked quinoa is tender, fluffy little bead like seeds that seem to take on the flavor of whatever you cook them with. I have used it in cold and hot recipes. You can find quinoa in the rice section of your local grocery store and its usually located near the top shelf. There are a few brands which offer flavored quinoa, so be sure to get regular, non-flavored quinoa. I suggest Ancient Harvest.
 
 
I tried this Quinoa Enchilada Casserole and it is the best recipe I have tried in a long time.  It was so easy to make and I feel that kids would love this too. Even if you are not a vegetarian I encourage you to consider trying this for your "meatless Monday." Upon first bite I could taste that tanginess of the green chilies and cheddar. The quinoa has a creamy texture and absorbed the flavor of the enchilada sauce. I used less chili powder than required, but next time I will use the full amount. This dish isn't heavy, but rather light yet filling. It's a mesh of flavors and textures. Creamy, melty, tangy, delicious and filling. You have to try this meatless casserole.
You will find the recipe here.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment